Monolithic vs Microservices Architecture- Which ones the best..?
When developing an application we need to start with a modular architecture which consists of the following.
- Presentation Layer which is responsible for handling HTTP requests and responding with HTML or JSON/XML
- Business Layer which will be the applications business logic
- Database layer which is responsible for accessing the database
- Integration with the application which can be REST API or other services.
There are various pros and cons for Monolithic and micro services architecture which are listed below
Benefits of Monolithic Architecture
- Simpler development and deployment
- Fewer cross-cutting concerns
- Better performance
Cons of Monolithic Architecture
- Codebase gets cumbersome over time
- Difficult to adopt new technologies
- Limited agility
Benefits of Microservices Architecture
- Easy to develop, test, and deploy
- Increased agility
- Ability to scale horizontally
Cons of Microservices Architecture
- Security concerns
- Different programming languages